The Final Hurdle
The universe clearly has a sense of humor
From January to April, our life was effectively put on pause. We had nothing to do except stare longingly at photos of a house that still wasn’t technically ours, endlessly refreshing the bank’s online portal, and waiting for our Notaire to break his silence.

Eventually, a notification arrived: the deadline for SAFER—the French agricultural body with the power to swoop in and buy land out from under you—had quietly passed. They didn’t want the place. Small victory. Except we still couldn’t move an inch, trapped in a double deadlock while waiting for local planning permission and a decision from our mortgage lender.
Every single day began with the same routine: log into the banking portal, brace for impact, find an empty inbox, repeat. Until one warm, optimistic spring Thursday afternoon, when a notification finally pinged. Could this be the moment?

In short: absolutely not. Because the process had taken so ridiculously long, the bank informed us that our original paperwork was now expired. They needed fresh bank statements and utility bills uploaded immediately. Naturally, it was the start of the Easter weekend, meaning both the bank and the Notaire were shutting their doors until Tuesday. We uploaded the fresh paper trail and prayed into the void.
Once the holiday weekend wrapped up, our Notaire generously revised our target completion date to the end of May. Perfect—except for the minor detail that I was scheduled to be in Cyprus for a wedding that exact week. The universe clearly has a sense of humor.
By this point, the sheer absurdity was wearing us down. Relief finally arrived a couple of weeks later when the French mortgage was officially approved. The bank immediately asked to arrange every insurance package under the sun, but hit a wall because they needed a firm completion date to write the policies. We still couldn’t give them one—planning permission was still adrift in administrative limbo. Our agent and Notaire were chasing the local office daily, only to be given the classic response: they’re just busy, be patient.
The delay pushed completion back yet again, this time to early June. Annoying as it was, at least it solved the Cyprus conflict, offering a much-needed break from this lengthy process.

Then came the punchline. Two days before I was due to board my flight to Cyprus, the estate agent called: the Certificat d’Urbanisme had been approved. We were clear to sign. The relief was massive, but instead of packing swimsuit options and easing into holiday mode, we spent the next 48 hours in a mad scramble arranging a dozen insurance policies and panic-booking flights and hotels for the signing trip.
You can catch up with us on Medium, Facebook, X, Insta, YouTube and our Website.